|R45||140th Anniversary of the Opening of St Pancras Station||£30.00||Limited Availability|
Issue Date: 01/10/2008
Issue Name: 140th Anniversary of the Opening of St Pancras Station
Producer: Buckingham Covers
World Famous St Pancras train station was designed by William Barlow in 1863 with construction commencing in 1866. The famous Barlow train shed arch spans 240 feet and is over 100 feet high at its apex. On its completion in 1868 it became the largest enclosed space in the world, and it was opened (to little ceremony) on the 1st of October 1868. We have produced this cover to celebrate the 140th anniversary of St Pancras. It features a single stamp and label from our railway sheet and has a St Pancras International, London postmark.
One of the most recognisable features of St Pancras station today, the red brick Grade 1 listed Gothic front facade was created as part of a competition in 1865 and became the Midland Great Hotel designed by Sir Gilbert Scott, which was built between 1868 to 1876.
St Pancras remains one of the greatest Victorian buildings in London, with impressive Victorian Gothic architecture. A replica of the famous St. Pancras station clock has been constructed and hangs high above the station platform once more.
Want to see all our rail covers? View them all here