|BC465R||Classic Locomotives of Northern Ireland Retail Booklet||£20.00||Limited Availability|
Issue Date: 18/06/2013
Issue Name: Classic Locomotives of Northern Ireland Retai
Producer: Buckingham Covers
2013 saw us celebrate the Classic Locomotive of Northern Ireland. Period photos of steam locomotives were selected using both black and white and colour imagery to produce these stunning stamps. Our beautiful cover featues superb illustrations by renowned rail artist John Wigston. The third in the series of miniature sheets celebrating steam locomotives in use in each of the home counties, this time featuring Northern Ireland.
Unsure what a Retail Booklet cover is? Find out more here
Classic Locomotives of Northern Ireland
Class W NCC/UTA No.103 'Thomas Somerset'
The Northern Counties Committee (NCC) Moguls, 15 in number, were designed under the supervision of the company locomotive engineer H P Stewart and built between 1933 - 1942. Being a constituent of the British London, Midland and Scottish Railway (LMS) there was a strong Derby influence. At first the tenders were of Midland Railway design but eventually they were given the later Stanier LMS tenders. Originally painted LMS/NCC crimson, they acquired a new black livery when the Ulster Transport Authority took over the transport system of Ulster in 1948. They finished their last working years on the former Great Northern Railway routes to Dublin and Derry, the last surviving until 1965.
SG3 No.35 (CNR No.41)
15 SG3s were built for the Great Northern Railway by Beyer Peacock, in 1920/21. They were the ultimate developement of the S family and known as the 'Big D's' and the most powerful 0.6.0s to run in Ireland. With the demise of the Great Northern Railway Board in 1958, S.G.3 No.41 became Ulster Transport Authority (UTA) No.35 lasting up to 1965, the last one being cut up in 1970.
No.2 British Aluminium
One of three little industrial Tank Locomotives built by Peckett of Bristol for the British Aluminium 3 ft Guage System to convey coal and materials around the company site at Larne Co. Antrim.
Class 5 No.4 Meenglas
No.4 'Meenglas' was built in 1907 for the County Donegal Railway, the largest narrow guage system in Ireland, by Nasmyth Wilson of Manchester. 'Meenglas' was one of four class 5 locomotives and along with two other classes of steam locomotives that worked the 3 foot guage railway remained in service until the closure of the steam system in 1960.
Want to see all our Retail Booklet Covers? View them all here