|R341||200th Anniversary of the Mansfield & Pinxton Railway||£10.95||Buy Now|
Issue Date: 13/04/2019
Issue Name: 200th Anniversary of the Mansfield & Pinxton Railway
Producer: Buckingham Covers
2019 sees the 200th anniversary of the Mansfield and Pinxton Railway. Our lovely cover featuring the Kings Mill viaduct, celebrates the anniversary. It features a 1st class stamp from the 2010 Great British Railways issue and has been postmarked at Mansfield on the anniversary date (13th April, 2019).
The Mansfield and Pinxton Railway
The Mansfield and Pinxton Railway was an early horse-drawn railway, initially built to transport stone and lime from Mansfield. However, it was soon discovered that the line would be very useful in transporting coal from the Pinxton branch to Mansfield. This branch served the collieries along the Erewash Valley via the Erewash Canal. The Mansfield and Pinxton Railway became the first railway in the East Midlands, in 1817, to be incorporated by Act of Parliament. The idea for this route had first been proposed in 1803 but there was a long delay, as the form of transport this route should take was decided. The railway cost less than £25,000 to build and allowed for many new coal pits to be created. Tickets to travel on the railway were sold at the Boat Inn. The first load of coal arrived in Mansfield on 13th April 1819 and ceremoniously burnt in the marketplace.
Today, there are parts of the line which still survive due to the contraction of the coal industry at the end of the twentieth century, there is little traffic on much of the line. Mansfield Station was closed in 1965 but remained standing. It was restored as a Grade II listed building in 2001 and now serves as part of the Robin Hood line.
Want to keep your rail covers safe? View our lovely Railway Album here