|BCN024||150th Anniversary of the Launch of HMS Druid||£10.95||Pre Order|
Issue Date: 13/03/2019
Issue Name: 150th Anniversary of the Launch of HMS Druid
Producer: Buckingham Covers
2019 is the 150th anniversary of when HMS Druid was launched on 13th March 1869. HMS Druid was a wooden screw corvette Briton-class built for the Royal Navy in the late 1860s. She had a crew of 220, she was 220 feet long between perpendiculars and had a beam of 36 feet.
Our lovely cover features HMS Druid in her beauty painted by renowned artist John Wigston, and is postmarked on the anniversary at Deptford (13th March, 2019), where she was the last ship to be built at the Naval Dockyard.
The amount of water displaced by the boat was 1,791 long tons and had a weight of 1,322 tons including the cargo. Druid had a two-cylinder horizontal steam engine, built by Maudslay, Sons and Field, driving a single 15 foot propeller. Four rectangular boilers provided steam to the engine so that it produced a total of 2,272 indicated horsepower (1,694 kW) which gave her a maximum speed of about 13.066 knots during sea trials. She was ship-rigged and had a sail area of 15,000 square feet. The lower masts were made of iron, and the other masts were wooden.
She was initially armed with a mix of 7-inch and 64-pounder 71cwt rifled muzzle-loading guns. The eight 64-pounder guns were mounted on the broadside while the two 7-inch guns were mounted on the forecastle and poop as chase guns. After the completion of their first commissions along with her sister ship, the two ships were rearmed with a total of fourteen lighter 64cwt 64-pounder guns, two of which replaced the 7-inch guns as chase guns.
Druid was laid down in 1868 and launched on 13 March 1869. She was completed in February 1872 and was the last ship to be built at Deptford Dockyard. The ship was initially assigned to the Cape of Good Hope Station, commanded by Captain the Honorable Maurice Nelson, where she remained for two years before being transferred to the North America and West Indies Station. Druid was refitted upon her return home in December 1876, which included rearmament. The ship recommissioned in February 1879 and returned to the North American Station. She returned home in September 1882 and was paid off. Druid was laid up in Medway until she was sold for breaking up to Castle of Charlton on10 November 1886.
Why not join our Maritime Club? Find out more details here