|BCN06||200th Annivesary of the Launch of HMS Trincomalee||£10.95||Buy Now|
Issue Date: 12/10/2017
Issue Name: 200th Anniversary of the Launch of HMS Trincomalee
Producer: Buckingham Covers
Produced in partnership with the National Museum of the Royal Navy, this beautiful cover celebrates the 200th anniversary of the launch of HMS Trincomalee, which is the oldest warship afloat in the UK. Featuring a photograph of HMS Trincomalee berthed at Jackson Dock with The National Museum of the Royal Navy in Hartlepool, this cover will have our special Hartlepool postmark.
HMS Trincomalee was first launched on 12th October 1817 and is one of two surviving British frigates from the era and is the oldest warship afloat in the UK (HMS Victory is older by 52 years and is currently in dry dock). Her name Trincomalee came from the 1782 battle of Trincomalee, at the port of that name in Ceylon, now Sri Lanka.
HMS Trincomalee is a Royal Navy Leda-class sailing frigate which was built soon after the end of the Napoleonic Wars at a cost of £23,000. The ship was constructed in Bombay using teak wood as there were shortages of oak in Britain due to the war. The construction was overseen by the Wadia family who were shipwrights. Her maiden voyage was from Bombay to Portsmouth Dockyard with Captain Philip Henry, arriving on 30th April 1819. It is said that the maiden voyage stopped at Saint Helena on 24th January 1819 and stayed for 6 days, when the ship left there was one additional passenger who was the surgeon, Mr John Stokoe, who had attended Napoleon at Longwood House on the island during Napoleon’s exile.
HMS Trincomalee was placed in reserve in 1845, where modifications were made to the stern and the guns which then reclassified the ship as a sixth-rate spardecked corvette. In 1847 the HMS Trincomalee left Portsmouth and entered service for 10 years in the West Indies and North America. 1849 saw her despatched to Newfoundland and Labrador and in 1852 she was in service with the Pacific Squadron on the west coast of America. The HMS Trincomalee ended her service as a training ship with the Royal Navy. She was then sold on to entrepreneur George Wheatley Cobb who restored her and renamed her Foudroyant in honour of his previous ship.
After being used as an accommodation, training and a holiday ship, TS Foudroyant finished her service in 1986, she was restored in name and build back to HMS Trincomalee in 1992. HMS Trincomalee is now berthed at Jackson Dock with The National Museum of the Royal Navy, Hartlepool.
Why not join our Maritime Club? Click here for more details