|R318||125th Anniversary of the Bridgnorth Cliff Railway||£12.50||Buy Now|
Issue Date: 07/07/2017
Issue Name: 125th Anniversary of the Bridgnorth Cliff Railway
Producer: Buckingham Covers
The Bridgnorth Cliff Railway opened on 7th July 1892. It is the oldest and steepest Inland Electric Funicular Railway. The opening ceremony was performed by the Mayor, John Anderson, using the golden key which had been presented to him by George Croydon Marks.
Join us in celebrating the 125th anniversary of the Bridgnorth Cliff Railway with this stunning cover. It features a lovely black & white image of the Bridgnorth Cliff Railway, along with a 50 pence Machin stamp, and a 42 pence Severn Valley Railway stamp from the 2004 Classic Locomotives issue and has been carried onboard the Bridgnorth Cliff Railway.
125th Anniversary of the Bridgnorth Cliff Railway
In 1890, there was a public meeting to discuss new means of communication and travel between the High Town and Low Town of Bridgnorth which were at the time separated by 200 steep steps. The original design for the railway featured a single track with two cars which then would cross at a certain point mid-way. A double track was then decided and construction began on 2 November 1891. Caves were found set into the cliff face which slowed the construction down considerably, in one cave, support was required, so that there would be no slipping and subsidence. There were also houses built into the cliff face which needed extra care. When the track was finished, it measured 201ft long, with a vertical rise of 111ft and incline of 1:81. Each car was mounted on steel girders each with a 2,000 gallon water tank. The water tank of the car at the top was then filled via a 30,000 gallon water tank on the roof of the station. Once the water filled, the counter-balance was then powerful enough to lift the bottom car with its 18 passengers. Rapid gripper brakes could stop the car in an emergency as well as a manual brake in each car.
The railway has proved extremely popular from the start, there was a major rebuild in 1944 of the railway to replace the hydraulic system with an electrically operated mining type motor of 32hp and additional safety features. This system used two ropes, as one winds onto a drum, the other winds off. The cars were replaced in 1955 with more modern passenger cars.
In 2011, the heritage and care of the Railway was taken over by the Tipping family who are cousins of the founder, George Croydon Marks (later Baron Marks of Woolwich). The history and importance of the Bridgnorth Cliff Railway as a working railway to the people of Bridgnorth is still valued to this day.
Want to see all our rail covers? View them all here