|R310||150th Anniversary of the Talyllyn Railway||£15.00||Buy Now|
Issue Date: 22/12/2016
Issue Name: 150th Anniversary of the Talyllyn Railway
Producer: Buckingham Covers
The historic Talyllyn Railway celebrates its 150th anniversary in December 2016. It was recorded in the Merionethshire Standard and mid-Wales Herald of 22nd December 1866 that the railway was open to passengers. We have designed this cover featuring beautiful artwork by John Wigston of the Talyllyn's No.1 on the line's major engineering work, the 3 arch viaduct over Dolgogh Ravine. Featuring a 1st class Welsh Dragon stamp and a Tywyn postmark, this is sure to make a fantastic addition to any collection!
The Talyllyn Railway
The Talyllyn Railway celebrates its 150th Anniversary in 2016. This narrow guage railway has been linked with the Bryn Eglwys slate quarry since its inception. The quarry is said to have employed 300 men and produced over 300,000 tons of slate and slab. In 1863, the leases for the quarry were bought by a group of Manchester cotton mill owners. The quarry was expanded, with houses built for the quarrymen and a new railway from the quarry to Tywyn. The chief engineer was James Swinton Spooner, whose brother and father had been involved in the Ffestiniog railway.
The Talyllyn Railway Preservation Society took over the railway in 1951. The No.2 Dolgoch was the only surviving locomotive of the Talyllyn Railway, however over the years many locomotives were acquired and reconstruction of the line progressed until it reopened in May 1976.
Want to keep your rail covers safe? Click here to see our lovely Railway Album