Buckingham Covers - First Day Covers

Major General Michael Scott CB CBE DSO


On 14th June the Argentinian commander surrendered his forces of just under 10,000 men to the British, the war was over, though the end of hostilities would not officially be declared until the 20 June. The following day, Juiliet Company (made up mostly of men of Naval Party 8901 who had defended the Falklands when it had been invaded) raised the Governor's flag above Government House, it had been down for seventy four days; the Falklands was finally liberated. Most of 5th Brigade were moved back to Fitzroy and the Scots Guards were subsequently moved to West Falkland to await the arrival of the first garrison troops and eventually departed the Falklands for Ascension on Norland on 19 July. The battalion was subsequently returned home by air, being transported by RAF VC-10 aircraft. The regiment won a number of gallantry awards for their actions in the Falklands War. A single Distinguished Service Order (DSO) was won, being awarded to the battalion's CO Lieutenant-Colonel Michael Scott. Also won by the battalion were two Military Crosses (MC), two Distinguished Conduct Medals (DCM) and two Military Medals (MM). The battalion was awarded two battle honours for its part in the war, "Tumbledown Mountain" and "Falkland Islands 1982".

Michael Scott was commissioned into the Scots Guards in 1960 on graduating from Sandhurst. After regimental service in the United Kingdom, East Africa, Northern Ireland and Germany, he attended the Staff College Camberley in 1974. He was a Military Assistant to the Chief of General Staff before returning to his Battalion in Northern Ireland and Germany. He became Chief of Staff of an Armoured Brigade before attending the Armed Forces Staff College in USA. He commanded 2nd Battalion Scots Guards in London, the Falklands Conflict and Cyprus. He was briefly a member of the Directing Staff at Camberley before commanding 8th Infantry Brigade in Northern Ireland from 1984 to 1986. He then attended the Royal College of Defence Studies before becoming a Deputy Military Secretary. He commanded the Army in Scotland and was Governor of Edinburgh Castle from 1993 to 1995. Major General Scott became Military Secretary in April 1995. On leaving the Army in April 1997, he was appointed the first Lay Complaints Commissioner of the General Council of the Bar. He retired in 2006 and is now engaged in historical research.

He is married and lives in London. His interests are travel and the art world.


Collectables Signed By Major General Michael Scott CB CBE DSO